Wednesday 5 January 2011

BURIED UNDER THE COVERS

As i've been nicely tucked up in the warmth this holiday season, I've been watching lots of films and documentaries. Thought I would give some quick reviews on a few:

BURIED is the story of Paul a U.S contractor sent to Iraq to drive trucks. He is captured by insurgents and buried in a coffin underground with nothing more than a mobile phone, pen, lighter and a hip flask. We see him struggle to find a way out to prevent his impending death.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting from this film. I thought it was going to be a horror. Horrifying it was, but this movie was captivating and heart-wrenching. Ryan Reynolds is the star of the show, and throughout the whole film we are with him and only him in his small coffin. I thought he did a great job with this movie, but I don't think he was the best actor for the job. I'm used to seeing Ryan Reynolds in comedies so I found it hard to take him seriously as a family man. Don't let this put you off though. He does play the role exceptionally well.


I give this a mel&trolley rating of  ★★★★☆ 4/5

THE COVE is a documentary which exposes the slaughtering of Dolphins in Taijii, Japan. Ric O'Barry (of Flipper fame) leads the film, and a set of filmakers as they try to expose the fishemen responsible for the slaughtering of dolphins at 'the cove'.

This film was extremely moving and disturbing. It's amazing that something so horrific as the killings of these dolphins is happening every day and the governments around the world do nothing. I would urge you to watch this film. It's an enlightening and beautifully shot film and I feel I should use this blog to create awareness of the great work of the Earth Island Institute. Show your support here.


mel&trolley rating: ★★★★★ 5/5

DEAR ZACHARY is the most moving film/documentary you will ever watch. Its a film by the best friend of a murdered man. He made the film to document the life of his best friend whose son Zachary who was born after his father was murdered. The film takes lots of twists and turns. I won't say too much about the film as it's important you all watch it not knowing too much. Seriously, this film is so touching and left both my sister and I gobsmacked.


mel&trolley rating: ★★★★★ 5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment